The student news site of Chattooga High School

Chattooga Smoke Signals

Filed under News, Showcase

Principal Jeff Martin Writes Letter to Highlight Students and Programs at CHS

CHS Principal Mr. Jeff Martin wanted to share his thoughts about our school, our staff, our students, and alumni with the public. Please read Mr. Martin’s letter below and take pride in learning about the positive aspects of our school and how CHS students are excelling everyday.

I just wanted to write this letter to tell everyone how much I appreciate you. On behalf of Chattooga High School, we want everyone to know how proud we are of our students, teachers and community.

To the students, parents, and teachers of Chattooga High School:

Chattooga County is a unique place. It contains some of the most beautiful valleys and mountains in the southeast as well as some of the best people in the country. It has been my pleasure to live here for my entire life and to raise my three children (each of whom will be attending Chattooga High School next year) here. It has been, and will continue to be, my home.
As the principal of Chattooga High School, it is my pleasure to work with each of you in emphasizing a a well-rounded education for every young person who enters our building. We offer classes and programs for students that prepare them for the next stage of their life, be it college, vocational school, or the work force. If a student is interested in something, they can probably find it in our building.
Academically, CHS offers core classes with high standards for all students. Each student is required to complete four years of study in the main academic disciplines (English, Math, Science, and Social Studies). Honors and advance placement classes are also available to students who excel in some, or all, of these areas. Students also have the opportunity to receive up to 1 year of college credit (through our qualified teachers) at no cost to them or their parents. Our students have gone on to become doctors, scientists, lawyers, educators and leaders in other professions both locally and nationwide. They work for large corporations, engineering companies, governmental agencies such as NASA, and hospitals. Our highest ranking academic students have been just as, if not more, successful as any other students in our area.
Our vocational classes are second to none. We have produced National Champions over the past few years in the areas of Small Engine and Marine Repair as well as numerous state champions from our automotive, welding, agriculture and construction programs. We offer an FCCLA (Family, Career, and Community Leaders of America) program that has recently doubled in size and has proven itself highly active in the community by raising more than $800.00 this past year for needy families. Our JGG (Jobs for Georgia Graduates)program prepares students to enter the workforce by teaching core skills (such as interviewing techniques and appropriate dress). They have received a large number of state and national awards including the most community hours served (over 1400 split among their 46 students) in the entire state in the 2015-2016 school year. They are also active in our state recognized “Snack Pack” program, which benefits many families (county wide) in need and are constantly involved in improving reading at our primary and middle schools. Many of their students have also attended the National Student Leadership Conference in Washington, DC.
Through our CTI Program, our students have the opportunity to earn their LPN by the the time they receive their high school diploma and move straight into either the health care profession or nursing school. Many of them are already employed, through our work study program, and are on special schedules allowing them to begin their careers while finishing up their academic studies.
Our band and chorus programs offer classes and events for our musically inclined students to show their abilities and passions at concerts and tours throughout the entire state.
Some of our students have answered a high calling and have joined, or plan to join, the armed forces. A few have already completed Basic Training and will go straight into service following their graduation.
Our athletic department has become a source of pride for our county with record setting football and basketball teams over the past couple of years. Our programs now have the facilities to host their own events and tournaments which will bring more money into both our large and small programs insuring all of our athletes have what they need to compete against other schools. Many of our athletes have been recognized at both the regional and state levels for performance and sportsmanship and gone on to continue their athletic careers at the next level through scholarships. A few have even signed professional contracts proving that athletes from Chattooga County can compete at the highest possible level. We even have one former student/athlete who flew former Presidents of the United States as a member of the Presidential helicopter squadron.
Our 4-Day school week has been recognized at the state and national level as a creative way to educate young people while making the best use of taxpayer funds. It has been the source of feature stories and has appeared in academic journals as well as on television newscasts. It has received nothing but positive reviews from reporters and editors who have taken the time to sit down and conduct interviews with our administration.
These are just a few (and I mean very few) of the activities and programs that are going on at Chattooga High School. We are working hard to improve all aspects of our school. We encourage everyone to stay involved by keeping up with us online through our Smoke Signals website. Better yet, each of you has an open invitation to walk through our doors and see for yourself what is going on in our hallways and our classrooms. My office is always open (and my phone is usually on) to anyone who would like to talk, visit, or simply tour our beautiful facility.
Teachers and parents, you are an important part of our learning process. Thank you for everything that you do and the support that has been pouring in over the past few days. You are a vital part of our success and I’m sure each of you will continue to be so. Students, you are our focus. Thank you for being the best group of young people in the entire state! I recognize your hard work and know that growing up in our modern society which promotes divisiveness is a difficult task. Keep being the respectful young adults you have become. You are the ones that make my job a pleasure each and every day.
In conclusion, I would like to add the words to our Alma Mater. We have all heard it at football games, but I would like to ask you to take the time to read it. It does a great job of summarizing my feelings about my county and my school.
In Chattoga’s lovely valleys,
Hills on ev’ry side.
Stands our noble Alma Mater,
Our joy and pride.
Hail to thee, our Alma Mater!
You will never fail!
We will ever sing your praises.
Chattooga High, all hail!

May God continue to bless Chattooga County and its great people.
One Tribe! One Chattooga!
Jeff Martin
Principal – Chattooga High School